Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bovines and Slumber Parties

This morning I opened my balcony door to get a good whiff of cold air and determine how many layers of clothes I needed to wear today, when I noticed a man with an ax, a large chopping block and what looked suspiciously like blood spatters across the snow. Then imagine my horror when he and his son proceeded to drag over a cow carcass and chop off the cows head. Now granted I am in Peace Corps but please understand I live in a city with most modern conveniences, I even carry a cell phone, and yet there is a man butchering a bovine outside of my apartment. Did you also know that this procedure is accompanied by sickeningly loud sounds of bones shattering? Well, it does, and it is not a pleasant sound on a Saturday morning, or really any morning for that matter. Once they had deemed the cow sufficiently chopped into "pot-sized" pieces they then carried it up the stairs to their apartment where I am sure, the family will serve this cow with great honor at their New Years day celebration (they don't celebrate Christmas here.) Although I do ask you...What pot would fit a cows head?

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!! The EKZ is having a slumber party this year. Everyone is cramming into my and Heathers apartments (they are next door to each other) and we will be making soups for Christmas Eve and French toast on Christmas morning. I think it should be a fun time for us to party and hang out! Have a wonderful Christmas, it will probably be next year when I blog again. (Please note 2 blogs in one month, it must be a record:)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beef...it's what's for dinner!!

5:25 AM  
Blogger ebustinza said...

well i haven't witnessed any cow slaughterings in petro...you could always come here for christmas!!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 recent news-y updates -- I love it!! Have a very Merry Christmas and marvelous time at your holiday party. Your apt. sounds perfect, tho I had to shudder at the activities taking place outside your door. Your sense of humor serves you well. Take care!

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soo, what's the beef anyway? Sounds pretty organic and fresh to me! {Brings a whole new meaning to the Christmas song's refrain: "the cattle are lowing" doesn't it?} Wonder if Whole Foods knows about this guy? Besides, even though it must have been a mooing sight to you, THE REAL WONDER AND SIGHT OF IT ALL IS YOU UP IN THE MORNING???!!! ON A SATURDAY??!! Talk about "not a pleasant sound!! :)
Have a very Merry Christmas; and I sure will miss our traditional Christmas Eve shopping together for your Mom. {I probably will go 'early' this year and not even have some Peaberry's.} :(

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home